FACILITIES

The Black Archives Research Center and Museum is located in Carnegie Library, the oldest brick building on the campus of Florida A&M University. A fire in 1905 destroyed Duval Hall, which housed the school’s first library. The school, under the leadership of its second President, Nathan B. Young, solicited the help from the famous Andrew Carnegie, who donated $10,000 to assist in rebuilding a new library. Completed in 1907, the two-story building was the first Carnegie Library built on black land-grant college campus. It served as FAMU’s second library until 1947, when a larger resource center, Coleman Library, was constructed. In the 1950s and 1960s, Carnegie Library was used as an art gallery and for art classes. In the early 1970s, it was utilized as a religious center, and in 1976, FAMU President Benjamin L. Perry, Jr., designed Carnegie Library as the founding home of the Black Archives Research Center and Museum. In 1978, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1991, the structure underwent exterior renovations. Interior renovations were started in 1996 and completed in 1998.

The Black Archives has an extension branch which features additional museum exhibitions. The satellite branch is located in the historic Union Bank Building. Click here for more information on this facility.

 

The website is designed and maintained by Dr. Bhanu Prasad. Please email him all queries related to the website.